Criticism: How to handle it and how to give it.
- With grace. Be calm, don’t overreact to negative feedback.
- Understand that this isn’t a personal attack on you or your work. I understand that you a lot of effort but effort does not equal perfection.
- Learn from it. Criticism in its true form is to help identify and correct your mistakes; to make your work better.
- With kindness. Don’t go out of your way to put someone down.
- Encouragement. I like to counterbalance any harsh critiques I give with a suggestion on how to fix it as to not totally discourage the person. I think of Ephesians 4:29 with this one and using positive reinforcement.
- Don’t be afraid to nitpick. There’s a difference between picking out all the issues for growth and just being unkind. If you sincerely want to help a person perfect their craft then you need to give honest, real critiques.
Until next time!