I just finished my first year of college and it was great. But, there are some things I would do differently or think others should be aware of so over the course of the year I made this list. Please read, enjoy and good luck on your college endeavors!
- Please please please read the directions on your bag of popcorn and then subtract ten seconds
- Buy the expensive mattress pad. I didn’t. Instant regret.
- Keep your desk organized or at least try to. At least once a week I reorganize my desk because it always ends up being a hot mess.
- You probably won’t need that. Whatever it is that seems necessary but a little extravagant, you won’t need it.
- Good pillows are key
- So are good earbuds
- Don’t forget to bring meds! (Like aspirin and allergy pills or any other medication you take)
- Bringing vitamins is a good idea but only if you plan on actually taking them (responsibly).
- Drink plenty of water!!! So important!
- Try to eat at least 1 veggie or fruit at each meal. You have options, so just do it. There has to be at least one that you like.
- Seasonal decorating isn’t necessary but it makes your dorm 100% more homey.
- Bring tissues! You will get sick and you will need them!
- Get a planner and figure out the right way for you to stay organized. There’s probable somewhere on campus you can go to help you with that if you need it.
- You don’t have to be best friends with your roommate(s) but you should at least be friendly and more importantly honest. I do happen to be really close to my roommate but we openly communicate with each other and that is why we work so well living together.
- Food from home will always taste better than school food.
- It’s ok to miss home every so often but don’t let it consume you.
- Call your mom/skype your family! They miss you too and want to know you’re ok! Snapchat is also acceptable if it’s a sibling.
- Figure out the best way you study.
- TIME FRICKIN MANAGEMENT. Learn what it is and how to use it. Stick to a homework schedule.
- Understand that you will get stressed and overwhelmed and find a playlist with calming music. Vent to a friend. You can also pray on it. Pray for peace of mind.
- No one cares what you wear. Wear what makes you feel comfortable, as long as it doesn’t offend others. Dress up for you, not them.
- Finals are the worst. Try not to procrastinate as badly as you usually do during this time of the year.
- While taking a 3 hour nap may seem nice and even feel nice in the moment but those types of naps ruin everything. Your homework schedule, your sleep schedule, everything. Set an alarm and don’t sleep for more than an hour and that’s still lenient.
- Moving out sucks. Don’t wait until the last second to pack all your stuff.
- If you’re the last to leave the dorm then it will feel very lonely. Drown it out in Netflix and studying.
I wish you all the best for your freshman year!
~Katie (who is now a sophomore)